Saturday, May 21, 2011

My $300 mistake....



We have all heard about human error at work or just with life in general.  Today that phrase really hit home for me.  Upon collecting payment for a job our landscaping company performed I found out that the customer was not satisfied with the completed job. She claimed that it looked like the property had not been touched and everything looked the exact same as it did before. I immediately spoke to my boyfriend (Israel) who performed the job and explained to him her concerns. Rather than trying to figure out the problem over the phone with the customer he decided to drive to her property and show her exactly what we did as agreed upon in the bid (or so we thought….)

When he got to the property no one was home, however there was a woman 2 houses down staring at him curiously… at that moment my phone rings and it is the customer.  That’s when it clicks..I look down at my two sheets of paper and I see the error…I accidently wrote the wrong house number on the contract.  I didn’t have an explanation for how the error came about, all I knew was that it was clearly my mistake.  Lesson learned.

Luckily the customer was more than understanding and agreed to let us perform the job she needed done this next week.  I told Israel that there should be plenty of room in Osama Bin Laden’s cave now and I was already on my way to find it! Rather than being upset he was amazingly calm and it is moments like these that make you appreciate your significant other even more.  

I do wonder if the people that owned the accidental house were home when we performed the job and just continued to let us go about our way as we definitely added value to their property.

What mistakes have you made? 

Use the code "spring" for a 30% discount!


-Liz

3 comments:

  1. Great meeting you through the Etsy Blog Team!

    I am your newest blog follower. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

    I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!

    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I hate when I am the one who is wrong! I try to block my many screw ups from my memory banks but I do recall backing our newish car into my husband's newish pickup in our driveway I popped the side mirror off the car and scratched/dented the side of the pickup. I just went over and sat on the brick retaining wall by the carport and started boo-hooing until the kids went and squealed on me! My husband just smiled and shook his head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, good point! What about the owners of the original house? They never noticed that all this work was done on their property?

    ReplyDelete